The Al Atkinson & Ted James Bursary is available to Douglas College students enrolled in any Vocational Education and Skills Training (previously Adult Special Education) program.
- Fall: August 15th – September 15th
- Winter: December 15th – January 17th
- Summer: April 15th – May 15th
In 2004 the Al Atkinson Bursary was created in honour of Al’s retirement from Douglas College. Al started at Douglas as an instructor in the Learning Assistance department and by the time he retired he was the VP of Educational Services. During his 32 years of service at Douglas Al championed the needs of students who were educationally disadvantaged, and as such, the bursary established in his name supported students engaged in Vocational Education and Skills Training, or VEST, (formerly known as Adult Special Education) programs.
In 2014, the bursary was re-named to honour Al’s good friend and fellow former Douglas employee Ted James. Ted worked alongside Al for many years, both sharing a focus on providing assistance and motivation to students with special needs or barriers to employment. The Al Atkinson & Ted James Bursary continues to support VEST students in need at Douglas College.
You may be eligible if you:
- are enrolled in any Vocational Education and Skills Training program at Douglas College
- are a registered student
- are in good academic standing and have a minimum CGPA of 1.50
- demonstrate financial need
- are a full-time or part-time student in the term for which the bursary will be received
Participation in college and community activities may also be considered
How to Apply
Apply for scholarships, bursaries, and awards at Douglas College using your MyAccount.
For more information, contact Douglas College’s Student Success Advising.
For more information on Douglas College funding opportunities, visit Douglas College’s Financial Aid webpage.
- Douglas College’s Awards, Bursaries and Scholarships webpage
- Douglas College’s Funding for Students with Disabilities webpage
See other Douglas College scholarships, awards, and bursaries listed on our website:
- 1992 BC Games for the Physically Disabled Award
- Adult Special Education Bursary
- Business Advisory Council Award of Distinction
- Canadian Federation of University Women Award of Distinction
- Carly Reid Memorial Award
- Compass Group Canada Award
- Joan Meister ORW Memorial Fund for Students with Disabilities Bursary
- Sally Allan Memorial Award
- Starlight Casino Bursary
Last Updated: 2023-12-01