The Dr. E. Bruce Hendrick Scholarship Program is open to Canadian citizens with spina bifida and/or hydrocephalus residing in Ontario.
Number Available: varies
Deadline: last business day of April, annually
The Dr. E. Bruce Hendrick Scholarship Program is administered by Hydrocephalus Canada. The scholarship was named in honour of Dr. E. Bruce Hendrick as a tribute to his dedication, on-going support, and outstanding service to members of Hydrocephalus Canada.
The scholarship program was established to encourage and support students with spina bifida and/or hydrocephalus to develop independence and responsibility for their own future educational directions; and to assist students to pursue higher education with the goal of obtaining a degree or graduate certificate or diploma.
- be Canadian citizens
- be residing in Ontario
- have spina bifida and/or hydrocephalus
The awards are valid at any accredited university or college, technical or trade school, career institute or school of business.
How to Apply
Important: two (2) copies of the application form plus required documents must be recieved in the Hydrocephalus Canada offices by the last business day in April.
Applications must include:
- the application form; the Dr. E. Bruce Hendrick Ontario Scholarship application form can be found on the Dr. E. Bruce Hendrick Ontario Scholarship webpage
- forms may also be obtained by contacting Hydrocephalus Canada by mail, telephone at 800-387-1575, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- be sure to answer all questions carefully
- academic transcripts, including the most recently completed semester
- for students still in secondary school, a copy of the second semester mid-term report, or, if the school is not semestered, a copy of the last report issued
- the Dr. E. Bruce Hendrick Ontario Scholarship medical assessment form
- the medical assessment form is not required if you have previously applied, unless your situation has changed
- one (1) letter of reference from an adult other than a family member, such as a minister, youth group leader, coach, volunteer supervisor or employer
- one (1) letter of reference from a teacher, principal, guidance counsellor
- if you are already attending a post-secondary institution, one letter must be from one of your professors or instructors
- a letter from you (the applicant) describing:
- why you think you are deserving of this award – this is your opportunity to tell the selection committee about yourself
- how spina bifida and/or hydrocephalus has affected your education and your life in general
- a goal you set for yourself and how you achieved it
- any other information that you feel would be helpful for the Program Advisory Committee to make their decision
If you fax or email these documents, you must also submit the originals by mail. Completed applications must be returned by mail to the following address:
Dr. E. Bruce Hendrick Scholarship Program
16 Four Seasons Place, Suite 111
The selection of the award recipient will be made by the Program Advisory Committee. When making its decision, this committee will take into account the applicant’s motivation, self-awareness, and goal setting, as well as potential for success.
Notification of awards will be made in June annually.
Recipients must enter/attend their chosen academic program in the year of application. Requests for deferment will be considered only in unusual circumstances such as illness. Proof of registration must be submitted before the award can be paid out.
In the event that the student does not complete the academic program, he/she must submit documentation stating the reasons for his/her inability to complete the proposed course load in order to be considered for future scholarships.
- Dr. E. Bruce Hendrick Ontario Scholarship webpage
- Dr. E. Bruce Hendrick Ontario Scholarship application form
Last Updated: 2023-07-19