The Dr. John Davis Burton Award is awarded annually to a student attending Carleton University, Algonquin College, La Cité Collègiale, or the University of Ottawa.
Number Available: 1
Applications Open: April 1st annually
Deadline: May 31st annually
This award was created in the memory of Dr. John Davis Burton, who was a champion and advocate for persons with disabilities. Dr. Burton made significant contributions toward awareness, equity, and integration of persons with disabilities throughout his career as an educator and coordinator of educational support services both at Carleton University and Algonquin College.
In memory of Dr. Burton, this award was endowed by family, students, and friends in 1992.
This award is given annually to a deserving student who is enrolled at Algonquin College, Carleton University, La Cité Collègiale or the University of Ottawa.
- be enrolled as a special, part-time, or full-time student in one of the four participating institutions:
- Algonquin College
- Carleton University
- La Cité collègiale
- University of Ottawa
- be in good academic standing
- demonstrate a significant contribution towards awareness, equality and integration of persons with disabilities in their home institutions as well as the larger community
- demonstrate some of the traits which Dr. Burton was most noted for: perseverance, dedication and a strong sense of community spirit
- Preference will be given to students with a learning disability, then to students with other disabilities, and finally to all other students
- Graduating students are welcome to apply, but preference will be given to students returning to one of the four participating institutions (listed above)
How To Apply
- Complete the Dr John Davis Burton Award application form (you can submit the PDF or Word application form; the Word application form is available on the Dr. John Davis Burton Award webpage)
- Complete applications must include all three of the following components:
- the application form
- at least one letter of recommendation
- a brief account, in your choice of format (eg: print, audio, video), describing how you meet the award criteria
- More information on each of these required components is available on the Dr. John Davis Burton Award FAQ webpage
- All applications must be submitted to Carleton Awards and Financial Aid at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applications must be submitted in English
Please note: Submissions may be made by self-application or through nomination by faculty, staff or students.
Please note that the Dr. John Davis Burton Award is extremely competitive, typically receiving over 50 excellent applications each year. The successful candidate(s) are individuals who demonstrate their commitment and prepare an application which goes beyond the minimum requirements outlined above.
Successful applicants will be notified by email at the end of August and will be required to provide proof of current enrollment at their post-secondary institution in order to receive the award.
An award ceremony will be held in early November.
For any questions, contact the PMC:
501 University Center Carleton University 1125 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa, ON, K1S 5B6
TTY and Video-Relay-Service: 613-520-3937
- PMC’s Financial Aid webpage
- Dr. John Davis Burton Award webpage
- Dr John Davis Burton Award application form
- Dr. John Davis Burton Award FAQ webpage
See other Ontario scholarships // See other scholarships open to all disabilities
Date updated: 2022-12-30