The FJL Woodcock SAPA Scholarships are national scholarships available to students who are blind or visually impaired.
Number Available: multiple
Deadline: June 30th, 2021
Established in 1989, these scholarships were named after Captain Fred Woodcock, a World War II veteran who was blinded in action. They are made possible by the families of veterans who were blinded during combat in World Wars I and II, as well as the Korean War. The families donated generously to encourage blind and partially sighted students to pursue post-secondary education and training.
In order to be considered eligible for any of the above scholarships, students should have a high degree of motivation and independence, and should be able to demonstrate a reasonable level of personal achievement. Students must be:
- Blind or partially sighted (less than 20/70 corrected vision)
- A secondary school graduate entering post-secondary education;
- A Canadian citizen or have held landed immigrant status for one year prior to the date of application
How to Apply
Students who submit an application are automatically entered into competition for all CNIB Scholarships. Each applicant must submit only one completed application form to be considered for all available scholarships. Recipients will be determined by the CNIB Scholarship Selection Committee in accordance with its application procedures.
Along with a completed application form, applicants must also submit:
- Proof of secondary education completion (interim);
- At least two letters of reference from a teacher/school official/volunteer supervisor;
- Letter of acceptance from an accredited post-secondary institution, college or university;
- An essay of not more than two pages on the topic “Please tell us how this scholarship will change what it means to be blind for you in your education?” (max 1000 words);
- An eye report (not older than one year)
- Interim transcript
- List other sources of funding, if any.
Please note that we receive a very large number of applications and are unable to acknowledge receipt of individual submissions. Only successful candidates will be contacted to be notified of results.
If you have any questions, email Shampa Bose at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 416-486-2500, ext. 7622.
Other CNIB Scholarships:
- Barney Danson Scholarship
- CNIB’s General Scholarships
- CNIB’s Master’s Scholarships
- CNIB Sense Scholarship
- Dr. John and Olive Pyper Scholarship
- Joyce Family Foundation
- Nalini Perera Little Lotus Bud Master’s Scholarship