The George Bateman Memorial Scholarship is open to Deaf or hard of hearing students in the Atlantic Provinces who are 21 years of age or younger.
Amount: Varies based on total annual applications
Number Available: Varies
Deadline: May 1st annually
The DHH (Deaf or Hard of Hearing) Trust Fund, funded by the Interprovincial School Development Association (ISDA), is used for student bursaries, scholarships, and awards; research; and staff professional development. The DHH Trust Fund Committee determines the allocation of funds to qualified applicants.
This award is renewable for a maximum of four years (three renewals up to a maximum of four years in total).
A maximum of $10,000 is available annually, including new awards each year plus renewals.
- Deaf or hard of hearing
- 21 years of age or younger
- Note: the age restriction does not apply to renewal years
- Resident of one of the Atlantic provinces
- Pursuing post-secondary studies
How to Apply
- To apply for the Arlene Burris Memorial Scholarship, use the DHH Trust Fund Guidelines, Application and Approval Form PDF
- A copy of the applicant’s most recent audiogram is also required with the application
- Applications must be supported by evidence of acceptance into a post-secondary program
Selection of this scholarship is determined by the ISDA Committee. Selection consideration will be made based first on academic excellence; then considering degree of hearing levels. Successful applicants will be notified as soon as possible. Successful applicants will be notified in writing. Payment will be made once all requirements are met.
Return completed applications to:
Administrative Assistant, DHH Programs
5940 South Street, Halifax, NS B3H 1S6
Atlantic Provinces Special Education Authority (APSEA)
5940 South Street
Halifax, NS B3H 1S6
Source(s): the APSEA Scholarships and Financial Aid webpage and the DHH Trust Fund Guidelines, Application and Approval Form PDF
- New Brunswick scholarships
- Newfoundland & Labrador scholarships
- Nova Scotia scholarships
- Prince Edward Island scholarships
- scholarships for Deaf or hard of hearing
Last Updated: 2023-01-06