The Lupus Canada Scholarship is available to students diagnosed with lupus who are or will be attending a Canadian post-secondary institution.
Number Available: 6
Deadline: May 31st, 2023
Lupus Canada is a national voluntary organization dedicated to improving the lives of people living with lupus through advocacy, education, public awareness, support and research. Post-secondary education – a significant milestone for many students – brings with it both excitement and stress. For individuals living with lupus, post-secondary education may present an additional set of unique obstacles. Many students are unable to maintain a part-time job because of lupus and so, financial resources are stretched.
Lupus Canada created this scholarship to help students living with lupus to succeed in attaining a postsecondary education. Through the financial support of the scholarship, Lupus Canada intends to recognize and raise awareness of the achievement of students living with lupus who have taken a positive and ambitious outlook in achieving their academic goals.
To be eligible, applicants must be:
- a legal and permanent resident of Canada
- diagnosed with lupus by a physician
- seeking an undergraduate degree from a Canadian university; a diploma or certificate from a Canadian college; or enrolled in a trade school educational program
- enrolled in, or waiting for acceptance from, a Canadian-based institution of higher education for the fall semester of 2023
- taking a minimum 50% of a full course load
- a student who demonstrates academic success and ambition
Individuals who are not eligible:
- Employees and volunteers of Lupus Canada’s Board of Directors and their immediate family members
- Previous recipients of the Lupus Canada scholarship program
How to Apply
Applicants must submit the following documents:
- A completed Lupus Canada Scholarship Application Form
- A 500 word essay on how lupus has affected your student life and how you will benefit from this scholarship
- A one-page letter of recommendation from a teacher, school official, professional colleague, or employer describing your unique qualities and how you overcome the limitations of living with lupus
- An official academic transcript from your most recent year of education
- Confirmation of your diagnosis of lupus from a physician
Selection of award recipients will be at the sole discretion of the Lupus Canada Scholarship Selection Committee. An interview by phone with the Lupus Canada Scholarship Selection Committee may be conducted at their discretion.
Recipients will be notified in the month of July 2023 via a personal telephone call and a confirmation letter. After a recipient’s educational enrollment has been verified for the fall 2023 semester, the scholarship will be made payable directly to the educational institution. The scholarship of $2,000 CAD will be awarded to cover the recipient’s tuition and/or educational materials and expenses.
Visit the Lupus Canada Contact webpage or email email@example.com
Last Updated: 2023-06-05