The Terry Fox Humanitarian Award Program is open to Canadian students who demonstrate the humanitarian ideals of Terry Fox and who are working towards their first degree or diploma.
Amount: Maximum value of $28,000, dispersed over four (4) years
Number Available: Varies
Deadline: December 1st by 11:59PM PT (annually)
The Terry Fox Humanitarian Award Program aims to honour the spirit of Terry Fox, one of Canada’s greatest heroes, by encouraging Canadian youth who strive to emulate Terry Fox’s courage and determination by providing their communities and those in need with humanitarian service.
The Terry Fox Humanitarian Award is a completely separate nonprofit charity, established in 1981 to administer the award. The program is not officially tied to the Terry Fox Foundation and the Terry Fox Run, nor does it receive any money from them. However, members of the Fox family have traditionally held a position on the Board of Directors.
The Terry Fox Humanitarian Award Program is open to students of all abilities.
Applicants must be:
- In good academic standing
- Canadian citizens or landed immigrants
- Students graduating from secondary (high) school OR students completing their first year of CÉGEP OR students who have completed secondary (high) school
- Involved in voluntary humanitarian activities (for which they have not been compensated)
- Planning to or are already studying towards their first university degree or diploma at a Canadian post-secondary institution, OR entering their 2nd year of CÉGEP in the upcoming academic year
The Terry Fox Humanitarian Award is granted based on a recipient’s demonstrated dedication to the humanitarian ideals of Terry Fox – their impact on human welfare and their courage, compassion, and fortitude in overcoming obstacles. Participation in sport, fitness and academic standing is also taken into consideration.
Recipients are eligible to receive the Award until they graduate with their first university degree or diploma (for a maximum of four years), provided they maintain satisfactory academic standing and a standard of humanitarian work and personal conduct which, in the opinion of the Board of Directors, justifies the award.
How to Apply
Students must apply through the Terry Fox Humanitarian Award website. Applications for the upcoming award cycle (2023-2024) open on November 1st, 2023.
The completed online application must include:
- an (un)official transcript detailing the applicant’s last two years of schooling (official transcripts, sealed by the issuing institution will be requested from applicants who are selected for an interview)
- three (3) referees, who will be emailed a link requesting they complete an online Referee Form on behalf of the applicant
In cases where the applicant is unable to complete an online application due to extenuating circumstances, all materials (including completed application, referee forms, and the transcript) must be mailed together (in one envelope) and sent directly to the Terry Fox Humanitarian Award office (and postmarked by the deadline) at the following address: AQ 5003, 8888 University Drive, Burnaby, BC V5A 1S6, Canada.
If you would like confirmation that your application and all relevant documents have been received in good order, or if you would like more information on how to complete the application process, please use the contact information provided below.
Notes on the value & distribution
The maximum value of the award is $28,000, dispersed over four (4) years. A stipend of $7,000 is issued directly to the institution each year in two installments of $3,500, one in September and one in January. For students who do not pay tuition fees, the award is $3,500 per year, issued directly to the institution in two installments of $1,750 each.
Recipients of the Terry Fox Humanitarian Award may not receive more than $15,000 in total scholarships annually (including the Terry Fox Humanitarian Award). If a student’s awards exceed this amount, any excess will be deducted from the student’s Terry Fox Award.
If a student’s academic expenses are covered by another source, they may choose to decline acceptance of the financial portion of the award. They will still be granted the distinction of being a Terry Fox Scholar.
For questions about the application process, please email email@example.com
Telephone: (778) 782-3057
Fax: (778) 782-3311
- Terry Fox Humanitarian Award website
- Terry Fox Humanitarian Award applicant information
- Terry Fox Humanitarian Award instructions
- Terry Fox Humanitarian Award FAQ
Last updated: 2023-12-01