The Dr. John and Olive Pyper Scholarship is available to a blind or partially sighted student living in Southwestern Ontario.
Number Available: 1
Deadline: July 4th, 2023
Dr. John Pyper was an ophthalmologist from Stratford, Ontario, who in 1955 extracted the first two eyes donated to the Eye Bank of Canada, and continued to perform this procedure for decades.
To be eligible for a CNIB scholarship, students must be:
- Blind or partially sighted (i.e. your visual acuity is 20/200 or less in both eyes after correction, and/or you have a visual field of 20 degrees or narrower)
- Pursuing a post-secondary diploma, degree, skilled trades certificate, apprenticeship program or equivalent
- A Canadian citizen, or have held landed immigrant status for one year prior to the date of application
- Highly motivated, independent, and able to demonstrate a reasonable level of personal achievement
For the Dr. John and Olive Pyper Scholarship, the student must also be living in Southwestern Ontario (Perth, Wellington, Oxford, Middlesex and Huron counties).
How to Apply
Apply using the CNIB Scholarship Application Form
The application opens on Tuesday, April 11, 2023 and closes on Tuesday, July 4, 2023.
Along with a completed application form, applicants must also submit:
- Proof of secondary education completion (interim)
- At least two letters of reference (1 academic and 1 community source)
- All reference letters should be on official letterhead, professional letter format and in an accessible format
- Letter of acceptance from an accredited post secondary institution, college or university
- A short essay (two pages maximum) detailing how a CNIB scholarship will change what it means to be blind for you in your education
- Interim transcript
- List other sources of funding, if any
Each applicant must submit only one completed application form to be considered for all available CNIB scholarships. Recipients will be determined by the CNIB Scholarship Selection Committee in accordance with its application procedures.
Whether you are chosen to receive a scholarship or are not awarded one this year, you will receive a follow-up from a CNIB representative by the end of the summer. Please ensure you provide your correct contact information to stay connected throughout the process.
For more information about CNIB’s scholarship program, please email email@example.com.
Toll-free CNIB Helpline: 1-800-563-2642
Other CNIB scholarships:
- Barney Danson Scholarship
- Bernice and Robert Gilbert Fund
- CNIB’s General Scholarships
- CNIB’s Master’s Scholarships
- CNIB Sense Scholarship
- FJL Woodcock SAPA Scholarships
- Joyce Family Foundation Bursary
- Nalini Perera Little Lotus Bud Master’s Scholarship
Last updated: 2023-05-24